Want to contact me?

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan was well done, and one of the very few zombie books that I actually enjoyed. I'll give it a 3 out of 5 however because I believe that there was still more that could be done with this book. Mary grew up in a village that has a secluded, old time feel to it. The Sisterhood protects the villagers, the unconsecrated (zombies) are the enemy, and the Guardian's powers are their way of life. This is all put into question.
Mary dreams about seeing the ocean, and she truly believes that there is life outside of the walls. Choices are presented to her, a love triangle is formed, and then she's forced out of her only home. She goes with those she cares about, fighting the zombies all along the way. Mary just hopes to see the ocean. That is the main plot to this story, a trip to the beach. It bothers me entirely. That's why I'm giving 3 stars. Most everyone will end up dying for a trip to the beach. 
I don't care what people say it really bothers me. A lot. The story is beautiful, the zombies instead of bringing simply fear bring tears to my eyes because of the sadness. Those they love are forced out, forced to walk the earth with no peace, to crave flesh. 
That doesn't matter in this book. The zombies must die. Humanity has fallen, and this book is full of suspense. Despite the lack of plot, I couldn't put this book down. I loved it until the very end, where I was disappointed. That is why this book gets 3 out of 5. It's beautifully written, but it's still slightly lacking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment