Want to contact me?

Name

Email *

Message *

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Devouring: A Thrilling tale of Fear itself

The Devouring by Simon Holt is a chilling novel. I have to say I give it 4 out of 5 stars. It's good, but it doesn't quite explain everything I want it to. However, I do know I couldn't put it down, from both fear and anticipation. Reggie doesn't believe in the Vours she finds written about in a book, creatures that take over a person's body on the winter solstice, pushing their souls into a fearscape (a world made from their worst nightmares) until they can never return. However, when she reads a loud on Sorry Night (winter solstice) she starts to believe when one takes over her little brother, Henry. This book was terrifying and exhilarating
...
That is pretty much how I felt after reading this book. I don't like the dark, and these creatures are the very essence of why! Let me put it this way, this is what I found on the back of the book that made me read it:

“When dark creeps in and eats the light,
Bury your fears on Sorry Night.
For in the winter's blackest hours,
Comes the feasting of the Vours, 
No one can see it, the life they stole,
Your body's here but not your soul...” 
― Simon HoltThe Devouring

Needless to say, I pretty much read the book like this...just hoping our little Heroine wasn't too late...


No comments:

Post a Comment