Want to contact me?

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Drought: A Captivating Novel full of Mystery

Drought by Pam Bachorz was a beautiful novel that I enjoyed to the very end. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. This book is a cult book, one of the very few I have ever read. Ruby is a slave. Every day she and the others that live there, unlike the overseers, are to collect water with spoons from the dew drops. They have a quota that they must reach or be punished. However, Ruby has the thing that makes the water so special, her very own blood. It's kept these people alive hundreds of years.
This water keeps them young, yet the endure such agony every day. I believe this book was compelling because it details the life of the cult, why they believe in their savior Otto who disappeared a long time ago, and how desperately they believe Otto will come back. Not all of them are the same, some like Ruby want freedom to go look for Otto. Then, Ruby falls in love with a new overseer.
Sadly, one of the reasons I only give it 4 stars is that it doesn't really explain why she loves him. The magnetism is apparent, however. This thrilling cult-like novel had me captivated the entire way, but it left questions unanswered. There were parts I wanted to cry, parts where I couldn't stop gushing at the subtle romance, and times that I was shocked at the cruelty in the book. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment