Want to contact me?

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Graveminder: Death, Responsibility, and Intrigue

Graveminder by Melissa Marr is a beautifully written story about minding the graves of the dead. I'd have to give it 3 out of 5. I believe a lot of questions go unanswered, but it's still excellently done. I feel there's no need to talk about the main characters in any length, because they are forgettable when the story is not. Respect for the dead is something I believe society has lost. We no longer go to keep our dead company, and we certainly do not tend their graves. 

Suffice to say that Rebekkah is stuck tending graves like her grandmother before her, and she finds out there is a reason for it. If she does not give them story, drink, and food then the dead will rise again to take the living equivalent of flesh, blood, and breath. They will become zombies and killers at that. Rebekkah is the graveminder, the person set to go between worlds. The land of the dead isn't what you expect, they still move around as if they're alive, just waiting on the other side for us..and they can still do this...
Though, this is a somber book about responsibility and keeping the dead and the living seperate, it has it's funny moments. I was captivated by the handsome Death, and look forward to seeing more of him. Sadly, I haven't heard of a sequel yet. So, even though I've only given this 3 stars, I'm hoping a sequel will come to fill in all the burning questions it left me with. However, I'm giving up hope. If anyone has any news of one, please do share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment