Want to contact me?

Name

Email *

Message *

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Demonic Dora: Funny but Disappointing

Demonic Dora by Claire Chilton I'll give 2 out of 5 stars. I got this book as an ARC from Netgalley, but I'm supposed to give it an honest review, and honestly it was a disappointment. At first, I loved this book. I could look past the poor writing style and see something that was worth sticking with. I couldn't stop laughing at some of the jokes.
Then it went downhill. I would suggest this for a 13 year old, or someone of a younger variety. Then it may hit a 4 out of 5, if it was targeted as a children's book, but then again there was too much sex for that. There were so many flaws because it seemed to bounce from content for 12-13 year olds, with all the feces jokes, to 15-17 year olds with all the the sexual content.

So Dora is a witch, and she has religiously zealot parents. They routinely think she's possessed, and she really wants to summon a demon. She finally summons one, where her parents find out because demons plague the church on national television, and they try to burn her at the stake. Her demon lord is actually a kid that can't even pass Hell's exams. He's basically one horny walking teenage boy.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about him. So, now they've escaped to hell, and this is where the story drops. It went from beautifully hilarious though poorly written, to just poorly written and feces jokes. Dragon feces, monkey feces, bird feces, all of it is in there in a joke getting thrown at someone. It's terrible. I guess a younger kid would like it, but the sexual content was too high. For example, Kieron (the Demon Lord she summoned) and his father actually fight over her saying she belongs to them.
This just wasn't a book intended for a mature audience. I'd love to try the next one, Deceased Dora, to see if it gets any better, but this one just didn't work out the way I had hoped. I hope the author will mature a little in the books to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment