Want to contact me?

Name

Email *

Message *

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Lost Voices by Sarah Porter I'd give 3 out of 5 stars. It's a good book, but I feel like it brushes over important detail and topics.  There are many girls across the world that know despair, abuse, and rape. When Luce, at the age of 14, is assaulted by someone she trusts one night, she gives into despair, falling into the icy waters at the bottom of the cliff, but she does not die.
It's not a happy event. There are others like her, girls who have given into the ocean despite the will to live, despite despair. They will live like this, now. Sinking ships and being together, surviving in the ocean's depths.
All but Luce feel no guilt for doing what they did. The abuse they've suffered has hardened them. They are now killers. They are now loving only to each other. They feel very little towards humanity.

Luce is different because she still feels guilt for what she's doing. The book is beautifully done, but brushes over important topics when I believe more time should be spent on them. It's saddening because I believe this book had a lot of potential. The characters don't seem to grow, and very little is said about Luce's thought process. I believe the author could do so more with a concept like this, and I hope to be able to rate the sequel a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment